Sunday, September 14, 2008

Morton's Garlic Butter

To quote Morton's "Our garlic butter is a little more involved than some, but it's absolutely sublime." They couldn't be more right! At first I was like, do I really want to go through all the trouble? And I almost didn't, except it wouldn't truly be, "a night at Morton's" if I cut corners, if you know what I'm sayin'? But I'm so glad I did make it because it was sublime. Morton's suggests adding the butter to plain vegetables, potatoes and pasta and I couldn't agree more, it's that good!

Morton's Garlic Butter
Courtesy Morton's Steak Bible
Makes about 2 1/2 cups

2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
2 tablespoons chopped peeled shallots
1/2 tablespoon rinsed, drained, and chopped anchovies (3 to 4 fillets)
1/2 bunch curly leaf parsley, stems removed and discarded, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 3/4 cups (3 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, soften
1/2 tablespoon Pernod liqueur
2 teaspoons coarse salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper

1. Int he bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade, pulse the garlic, shallots, anchovies, and parsley until finely chopped.
2. In the bowl of electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and set on medium speed, beat the butter for 1 minute. Scrape the garlic mixture into the butter and beat for another minute or so until thoroughly mixed. Reduce the speed to low. Add the Pernod, salt, and pepper and beat to mix. Increase the speed to high and mix for 2 minutes, or until the butter is smooth, fluffy, and light. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Mix the butter mixture for 2 more minutes at high speed.
3. use immediately or transfer to an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 5 days, wrap well and freeze for up to 2 months.

Note: I didn't have any Pernod and didn't feel like buying it since all it really called for was 1/2 a tablespoon so I used a licorice liqueur I had on hand I believe it was Romana Sambuca it worked out fine. You couldn't taste it so I'm guessing it was added to balance off a different flavor in the recipe. Also, don't be put off by the anchovies (like I was) you cannot taste them and according to Morton's they are essential because you cannot attain the level of saltiness otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment